Are You Interested in an Apprenticeship? The Wall spoke to a local garage owner to get his advice on how to get an apprenticeship and here’s what he had to say:
- Try to decide as early as possible what you want to do so that you can tailor your study towards it and also do some research into it so that if you get an interview you have some background knowledge in the field and also the company you have the interview for.
- Have a cv ready and if possible try and get some interview practice from parents/friends. Also try to be confident in the interview, interviews can be a nervy experience but try to sell yourself as best you can.
- If you know what you want to do, try and maybe get some weekend/part time work experience - even unpaid, everybody is looking for experience.
- Study well - almost every apprentice type trade requires a good degree of literacy and numerical skills.
- If you are lucky enough to get an apprenticeship - make the most of it!
- Don’t be lazy, late or tired and work hard to learn and impress. Many apprentices are not kept on after their apprenticeship finishes so be the one that is!
For much more information, check out